Thursday, February 16, 2012

Crunchy Chewy Chicken Feet!

Warning: gross pictures ahead.

Still don't have much time for blog updates (sorry kids, I know you're devastated) but as a Valentine's treat to my dogs -- who are, of course, my real Valentines; to hell with that other two-legged person-thing who lives in the house -- I bought them a bag of locally raised, vegetarian fed, humanely pastured chicken feet from the Fair Food Farmstand.

(I'm not sure who else buys these chicken feet. I suspect they are like the beef hearts at the Winter Harvest CSA: a novelty item that gets listed because the butchers who supply these markets like to show that they really do use every last bit of the animals, and that occasionally people buy in a rush of misguided optimism, but that no one other than my mutt monsters will ever actually eat. The guy at Winter Harvest was super stoked to see someone else buying beef hearts, and excitedly asked me if I had any good recipes for them. He was disappointed to learn that I just use them for dog food [high taurine! high iron! a fine supplement for your dog's diet!] and then sheepishly confessed that he'd had a beef heart in his spare freezer for about a year without any idea what to DO with the thing. So next time I stop by Winter Harvest he's going to give me that beef heart for free, just so it doesn't go to waste. Score! Although I do feel bad I couldn't help him out any better than that.)

Anyway, so back to chicken feet. I threw them in the oven for a couple of hours at 200 degrees to kill off germs and because Pongu missed the memo re: dogs are supposed to love raw food. He refuses to eat raw meat (with a grudging exception for quail); I have to cook things before he'll touch them. However, chicken feet do have small bones in there and I'm paranoid about splintered bones causing problems, so I kept the cooking to a low-heat minimum and the bones stayed nice and flexible.

A Valentine's heart of nasty scaly lizard feet for my puppies. <3 <3 <3
The dogs LOVED them. So much. Pongu ran around trying to rip extra toes right out of Crookytail's mouth. Mmm, toenails...




No comments:

Post a Comment